Friday, December 10, 2010

joy in the simple things!

Yeah, I know that Advent started a couple of weeks ago and is half-way gone, but one of the biggest joys that this new vicar has had so far was creating a giant Advent wreath. So I wanted to share a picture of it with you all. It is made out of things lying around the garage and in my overflowing craft cupboard. I put it together with my mum on a hot spring afternoon. It is very satisfying to create something out of seemingly nothing. And certain members of my household are always pleased when I use rather than add to my collection of "this might be useful oneday" items!
With the perhaps bizzare combination of an interest in crafts and theology, I began thinking about the image of God as a Creator who stood back from creation and admired it saying "It is good!" It led me to the following question:
In the rush of end of year, end of school, end of work craziness - how do you take time to admire the ordinary as an extraordinary thing? Making dinner - it is good! Putting out the rubbish - it is good! Creating an advent wreath out of junk and surplus...it is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment